Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 20 minutes
An original recipe from Neil McCarthy, Executive Chef of the Mount Kenya Safari Club
At the Club, this dish is served while the Port sauce is still bubbling in the hot pan with a "screaming" (crispy) potato cake, and a tomato, herb and spinach tartlet.
In the hotel, they usually cook the beef on a round metal plate on which flat bread is cooked, but a good grill pan or even the barbecue will work nicely.
- Jacline, Memories of Africa
- sauté the onions in a skillet with the clarified butter and brown sugar for about 2 minutes, just until they caramelize;
- add the horseradish and 60 ml (1/4 cup) veal stock or broth; reduce at a simmer until the sauce thickens; set aside, keeping warm;
- place the Port and the remaining stock in a small saucepan; simmer until the liquid is reduced by half;
- season the beef with salt and pepper; heat the oil in a skillet; sear the beef medallions for one minute on each side; finish cooking in the oven or under the broiler until the desired doneness is reached, about 1 minute for medium-rare;
- place the onions in the center of warmed plates; place the beef medallion on top; spoon the sauce around and serve hot.
Hints & Tips