Prep. time: 15 minutes
Soaking time: 2 days
Cooking time: About 30 minutes
* The spice powder is made by pulverizing a piece of dry gingerbread (pain d’épice) in a food processor.
** A ladle with a little pouring spout is ideal for pouring sauces.
- Soak the sweetbreads in water for 2 days to remove any impurities, then blanch them for 2 minutes, skin them and divide into 4 portions of 180 g (6 oz.) each.
- Into each one, stick a half stick of licorice, halved lengthwise.
- Peel the carrots, reserving the tops.
- Begin cooking the carrots in olive oil, add a little white chicken stock and powdered gingerbread and cook until the liquid has reduced completely. At the end, sprinkle with powdered gingerbread.
- Heat the oil to 160° C (325° F). Fry the carrot tops; drain and set aside on paper towel.
- Cook the sweetbreads in oil in a skillet; when they are nicely browned, add a knob of butter.
- Deglaze with a ladleful** of veal jus and glaze under the salamander for a few seconds.
- Bring the milk to a boil and add some grated licorice and salt. Froth with an immersion blender.
- Place the sweetbread brochette in the center of the plate and arrange the carrots harmoniously.
- Garnish with a sprig of fried carrot top, some licorice foam and the veal jus.
Hints & Tips