Prep. time: 20 minutes
Refrigeration time: 15 minutes + 2 hours
Cooking time: A few minutes
Serve the charlotte sprinkled with brown sugar and flambéed with the Holland gin. On the side, serve a caramel sauce made with brown sugar and a little water. You can decorate the charlotte as desired (before flambéing it) with whipped cream, coffee beans, etc.
- Make a crème anglaise with the 3 eggs and 125 g sugar: whisk until light and pale, blend in the hot milk, mix well and return to the heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens; do not allow it to boil;
- soften the 3 sheets of gelatin in cold water; blend them into the crème anglaise; pour the mixture into two bowls, equally divided. To one, add the coffee; to the other, the chicory. Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Whip the cream and fold half into each mixture.
- Make the syrup by heating together 25 g sugar, 100 ml water and 1 tbsp. Holland gin;
- line the sides of the mold with the ladyfinger biscuits, rounded side out, after first dipping them into the syrup;
- pour in the chicory bavarian cream. Refrigerate for 15 minutes until it thickens, then pour on the coffee Bavarian cream. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours longer;
- turn the charlotte out onto a fairly deep serving dish.
- flambé with Holland gin and serve the brown sugar sauce on the side (see note above).
A recipe from Denise Legleye, chef of the Auberge de la Garenne in Marq, Baroeul
Photo: Adaptation by MSCOMM / ID 61103263 / Tetiana Chugunova
Hints & Tips