Country-style pâté Recipe
Total time: more than 2 hoursPreheat the oven to 120° C (250° F)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2-3 hours
Refrigeration time: 1-2 days
Ingredients for 6-8 servings
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 slices of smoked bacon
- 175 g (6 oz.) fresh bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 450 g (1 lb.) lean Pork, cut into pieces
- 100 g (6 tbsp.) pork fat
- 225 g (8 oz.) pork liver, well cleaned and cut into pieces
- 225 g (8 oz.) chicken livers, well cleaned
- 2 French shallots
- 75 ml (5 tbsp.) heavy cream
- 40 ml (3 tbsp.) cognac or brandy
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- See also: Liver Pâté and Country-Style Pâté
- Combine the bread crumbs, eggs, cream, cognac and garlic.
- Chop or grind the pork, pork fat and liver.
- Sweat the minced shallots in butter until translucent.
- Add the meats to the bread crumb mixture with the herbs, seasonings and shallots.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 24 hours.
- Lightly grease a terrine and place the bay leaves in the bottom. Line the bottom and sides with the slices of smoked bacon, letting them hang over the edges slightly.
- Transfer the mixture into the terrine and press down well; fold the overhanging edges of the bacon over top to enclose the pâté.
- Cover and place the terrine in a water bath so that the water reaches 5 cm (2”) below the rim.
- Cook the pâté in a 120° C (250° F) oven for 2-3 hours – the meat juices in the center of the pâté should run clear when you pierce it with the tip of a knife.
- Remove from the oven; remove the lid and cover the pâté with a piece of aluminum foil; place a weight on top.
- Let cool. Refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours before serving.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips