Cream of Pumpkin and Foie Gras Soup with Tapioca Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
You could blend some pieces of foie gras into the soup to give it more smoothness.
For 4 servings
- 4 Tbsp. (40 g) large minute tapioca
- Green food coloring
- 1 medium European pumpkin
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 1 small jar of half-cooked foie gras, (150 g/5 oz.)
- 2 pinches of four-spice powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp. potato starch
- 100 ml (6 Tbsp.) thick crème fraîche
- 100 ml (6 Tbsp.) coconut milk
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tsp. oil
- oven-toasted baguette slices
- Bring 750 ml (3 cups) water to a boil with a few drops of food coloring. Sprinkle in the tapioca and cook until it is totally colored, stirring often.
- Drain the tapioca and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Peel and chop the pumpkin. Chop the onion.
- Sauté the onion in the oil, then add the pumpkin and stock, bring to a boil and cook until the pumpkin is tender.
- Crush the pumpkin pieces with a skimmer or put through a ricer.
- Dissolve the starch in 1 Tbsp. water. Off the heat, stir it into the soup. Return the pot to the heat and bring to a boil while stirring until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from the heat, blend, add the cream, coconut milk, four-spice powder, salt and pepper.
- Spread the oven-toasted baguette slices with foie gras.
- Place some of the tapioca in the bottom of glass bowls, then pour in the soup.
- Place the sliced foie gras and croutons on top of the soup.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips