Prep. time: Fairly long if you follow all the steps
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Be careful that the sausage does not touch the bottom of the pot while cooking; otherwise it will collapse.
Making the sausage
- Slaughter a pig; immediately collect the blood; add the vinegar and a little salt to prevent coagulation;
- moisten the stale bread with a little milk and add to the blood;
- in a bowl, combine the pork fat, chives, chili pepper, thyme, bay leaves, bay rum and pepper to make a paste;
- blend in the blood and bread mixture;
- wash the casings and rinse in water and lemon juice; fill them with the stuffing mixture; form links approximately every 12 cm (5").
- Place the ingredients listed for cooking the sausage into a large pot three-quarters filled with water and place over high heat;
- when the water is about to boil, reduce the heat to medium and add the sausages - be careful that they do not touch the bottom of the pot;
- cook for about 10 minutes and then pierce with a needle - if only fat comes out, the sausage is cooked.
Since the sausage is spicy, you need a red wine with body such as a Côtes-du-Rhône Villages
Hints & Tips