Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
These festive allergy-free treats do not contain any eggs, dairy or nuts, but have all the taste of a delicious, moist carrot cake! You’ll be a hit at your next Halloween party, and have no fear of upsetting your allergic friends. A tasty recipe by EpiPen, the auto-injector for severe allergic reaction.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F. Line 18 muffin tins with muffin cups and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together baking powder and apple sauce in a separate bowl to make a foamy mixture. Add oil, carrots, apple juice and balsamic vinegar. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes or until cupcakes are golden brown and a tester comes out clean.
- Place icing sugar in a large bowl and whisk in apple juice and lemon juice to make a thick white glaze.
- Scoop about 1 heaped tablespoon of icing on top of each cupcake and use a palette knife to spread it out. It will continue to run a little before it sets. If you wish to add a festive look, simply add food colouring to colour the icing.
Hints & Tips