Owl Cupcakes... hoo hoo! Recipe
Total time: 1hr to 2hr
- For 12 cupcakes
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) softened half-salted butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 g (1 1/2 cups) flour
- 225 ml (1 cup) sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- a small pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
For the icing
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) softened unsalted butter
- 750 ml (3 cups) icing sugar
- 4 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Bittersweet chocolate or brown food coloring
- Toasted flaked almonds
- 12 cashews
- 24 chocolate kisses
- Yellow paper muffin cups
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, then the sour cream and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, soda and salt). Blend into the sour cream mixture without overbeating, to keep the batter light.
- Line muffin tins with papers and fill three-quarters full with the batter.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar; add the milk and vanilla. Set aside a little icing for decoration.
- Cover the top of each cupcake with icing, using either a knife or a piping bag.
- Combine a little of the melted chocolate with half the remaining icing.
- With a piping bag, place 2 circles of chocolate icing on each cupcake to make the eyes.
- Place two smaller white rounds on top; place two chocolate kisses in the center.
- Arrange the almonds as desired (see photo).
- Add a whole cashew to form the beak, rounded side out.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2020. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips