Preheat the oven to 160° C / 325° F)
Prep. time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 70 minutes
Banana bread became an American staple because of its good flavor and adaptability – sandwiched with cream cheese it makes a meal, and it keeps so well it is ready for a snack or dessert whenever needed. This version includes wheat germ and whole-wheat flour for extra goodness.
Recipe courtesy of the National Honey Board, from Honey: A Connoisseur’s Guide with Recipes by Gene Opton. Copyright © 2000 by Gene Opton, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley, California.
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F). Butter a 22 x 12 cm (9 x 5”) loaf pan.
- Combine the white flour, whole-wheat flour, wheat germ, salt, and soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the honey until evenly mixed and just lukewarm. Add the eggs and banana, combining thoroughly.
- Stir in the dry ingredients in two parts, adding the hot water between additions to make a light, smooth dough. Stir in nuts or fruits as desired.
- Push into the prepared pan, level the surface, and bake 70 minutes, or until humped, brown, and firm to the touch. Cool in the pan on a rack.
- Turn out, wrap well, and store a day before slicing.
Photo : MSCOMM / ID : 26012788 / V. J. Matthew
Hints & Tips