Cooking time: 30 minutes for a fish to feed 3-4
45 minutes for a fish to feed 5-6
A recipe from the Fumas do Guincho restaurant on Portugal's Estoril Coast
This spectacular recipe is easy to prepare - perfect for inexperienced cooks who want to cook fish perfectly. The secret resides in the way the crust is broken. At the restaurant the fish is served with cauliflower gratin and market vegetables.
- Choose a good-sized fish such as a dorado or sea bass; clean and gut it, or have this done by your fishmonger; it's important to leave the skin on;
- Line a rectangular baking dish with coarse salt;
- place the fish in lengthwise or diagonally so that it sits flat on the salt;
- cover with coarse salt; moisten your hands and flatten the salt so that it adheres well to the fish;
- place into a very hot (260° C/500° F) preheated oven for 30 minutes for a fish to feed 3-4 or 45 minutes for a fish to serve 5-6.
Serving - Breaking the salt crust
Hints & Tips