Preparation time: 10 minutes
Waiting time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
In season, there's nothing like eggplant cooked on the grill to create a summery new twist on eggplant parmigiana!
Out of season, you can cook the eggplant under the broiler.
- Wash the eggplant; slice it with a mandolin into even, not too thick slices.
- Place them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 20 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels and brush with olive oil.
- Grill over high heat on both sides.
- In a bowl, combine the cheeses, egg yolk, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour 125 ml (1/2 cup) tomato sauce into the bottom of a gratin dish.
- Place 6 slices of eggplant on the sauce; top with the cheese mixture and finish with a layer of eggplant slices. Bake in a 200° C (400° F) oven for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce is boiling.
- Heat the remaining tomato sauce in a small saucepan or in the microwave.
- Place 1 serving of eggplant (2 stacked slices) on each plate and spoon on some sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan and garnish with basil leaves.
*For fresh fruits and vegetables such as eggplant, Go South! Fresh from the Southern U.S.
Hints & Tips