Prep. time: 10 minutes + 10 minutes
Cooking time: About 30-45 minutes
As with all Roman recipes, this fettuccine dish is fairly elaborate. We’re giving the method for making your own pasta, but you can easily simplify the recipe and reduce the preparation time by buying fresh pasta from the market.
Making the pasta
- Knead the flour and eggs together to form a firm dough; roll out thinly; cut into 1 cm (3/8") wide noodles.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook the fettuccine until al dente; drain and keep hot.
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes; peel, seed and chop coarsely.
- Soak the mushrooms in a little water until softened; chop.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the ham fat, removing the garlic once it begins to brown; add the tomatoes and mushrooms; season.
- In another skillet, sauté the chicken in half the butter for a few minutes; add the wine and let evaporate; add the broth; cover and cook over high heat until the chicken is completely cooked; add the mixture to the tomato mixture.
- Toss the fettuccine with butter in a serving platter; cover with the sauce; sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Hints & Tips