Prep. time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes + 20 minutes
Note: Pumpkin compote can be prepared in advance
Serve the French toast warm along with the pumpkin compote presented in a little pitcher. You can either remove the vanilla bean or leave it in, as you wish.
- Peel the pumpkin, removing the rind, fibers and seeds, then cut the flesh into large cubes.
- Place them in a saucepan with the powdered sugar, 50 ml water, the split, scraped vanilla bean, and the finely grated zest and juice of the lemon and orange halves.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes until the liquid has completely evaporated.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C / 400° F.
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan. Add the split, scraped vanilla bean and bring to a boil.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the powdered sugar until light and pale, then gradually mix in the milk-cream mixture.
- Slice the bread into thick slices.
- Butter a baking dish. Arrange the bread slices in the dish, overlapping them slightly, and pour the egg mixture over top.
- Place the dish into a larger shallow pan and half fill with boiling water (bain marie). Place on the middle oven rack and bake for 20 minutes until the French toast is golden and gratinéed. Remove from the oven and let cool until just warm.
Photo: FOD/ CEDUS
Hints & Tips