Prep. time: 15 minutes
Rising time: 20 minutes + 1 hour
Cooking time: 3 minutes
The carnival in Venice was a prelude to the restrictions of Lent. Fritelle are very popular - they're a kind of little doughnut often containing raisins or nuts to sustain the merry-makers throughout their celebrations.
- Crumble the yeast into a glass of warm water.
- Pour into a bowl and combine with 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) flour.
- Cover with a towel and let rest for 20 minutes.
- When the mixture begins to swell, add the raisins, pine nuts and grappa and mix briskly.
- Gradually incorporate the remaining flour.
- Let the dough rise for one hour.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or other deep pot and drop the batter in by spoonfuls. The fritelle are cooked once they are nicely golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately, sprinkled with sugar or icing sugar.
Hints & Tips