Preparation time: 20 minutes + 4 1/2 hours rising time
Baking time: 30-35 minutes
By combining the rye flour with white flour you'll get a lighter crumb.
Thinly sliced, this bread is perfect with cold meat or fish.
- place the flours, cumin seed and salt in a bowl;
- in another bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and honey; add the rest of the water;
- gradually pour the liquid mixture into a well in the center of the flour, blending in the dry ingredients in to form a dough;
- transfer to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic;
- place in a lightly-oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and let rise until tripled in volume, about 3 hours;
- knead again on a floured surface; form into a round loaf and transfer to an oiled baking sheet; sprinkle with wholewheat flour; cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 60-90 minutes;
- with a sharp knife, make two long slashes on the top of the loaf;
- bake in a preheated 220ºC. (425ºF.) oven for 30-35 minutes.
To check for doneness, turn the loaf over and rap on the bottom: if it sounds hollow, it's done. Otherwise, bake a few minutes longer.
Hints & Tips