Preparation time: 15 minutes
Soaking time: 24 hours
Cooking time : 3 to 3-1/2 hours
Get the jump on your Christmas baking by making this classic fruit cake now. Wrap it well and it will be perfect to serve, or give as a gift, on Christmas Day!
If time permits, begin this few weeks ahead. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil and store in an airtight container.
- Place dried fruit, glace fruit and 250 ml / 1 cup brandy in a large airtight container. Mix well. Cover and stand overnight or preferably for 1 week, stirring occasionally.
- Lightly grease a 9cm / 3.5 inches deep, 20cm / 8cm (base) square cake pan. Line base and sides with brown paper and baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 150°C / 300°F.
- Sift flours and spices into a bowl.
- Using electric beaters, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add marmalade and 1 tablespoon flour mixture and beat until well combined. Using a large metal spoon, fold remaining flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Add fruit mixture to butter mixture and stir until combined. Press into pan. Smooth surface. Tap base of pan on workbench to settle fruit and remove air bubbles.
- Cover cake with 3 layers brown paper. Bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Drizzle remaining brandy over cake while still hot. Wrap cake pan in a clean tea towel and allow cooling completely.
- Remove cake from pan and dust with icing sugar. Serve.
Hints & Tips