Preheat the oven to 190°C. (380°F.)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Making the sponge
- Beat the eggs, sugar and lemon zest until thick and foamy.
- Gently fold in the flour. Spread the batter on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 22 minutes in a preheated 190° C (380° F). Cool and cut into 3 x 3 cm (1 1/4") squares.
- Bring the 100 ml (6 Tbsp.) water and 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar to a boil to make the syrup.
- Combine the syrup with the lemon juice and kirsch and moisten the sponge squares in the mixture.
- Grate the zest from the lemons and squeeze the juice. Bring the water to a boil. Combine the eggs, sugar and cornstarch, add the lemon zest, juice and hot water.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Strain.
- Use transparent dessert cups so that the ingredients can be seen.
- Alternate layers of soaked sponge cake, berries and lemon curd.
Alex Gallardo suggests a 2001 Molino Real from the Compania de Vinos Telmo Rodriguez, made from Malaga muscat grapes. A subtle, complex muscat with full, characteristic varietal flavors and superb acidity that pairs wonderfully with the dessert's flavors.
With the collaboration of ICEX, the Spanish Secretariat of State for Trade and Tourism, Ministry of the Economy.
Hints & Tips