Prep. time: 20 minutes
Waiting time: 48 hours
Cooking time: None
Tip: Cannot be frozen
Raw cured salmon needs no sauce because of its subtle flavour and fine texture, but in Finland, the mustard dill sauce is a classic accompaniment.
- Fillet the salmon if you purchased it whole, keeping the skin on.
- Pat the fillets dry with paper towel but do not rinse the fish.
- Choose a plate large enough to hold the fish and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- In a bowl, mix coarse salt, sugar, pepper and half the bunch of dill finely chopped.
- Put the first fillet on the plate, skin-side down on the salt;. Sprinkle with the seasoning mix. Cover with dill twigs.
- Season the second fillet with the remaining seasoning mix. Put on top of the first fillet, skin-side out.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Put a weight on top of the fillets and keep in a cool place.
- Just before serving, remove the plastic wrap and scrape off the excess seasoning if necessary.
- Cut on the bias into very thin slices.
A white Burgundy such as a Moreau Chablis 1997
Hints & Tips