Marinating time: 24 hours
Cooking time for the stock: 1/2 day (can be made in advance)
Cooking time for the braised hare: 12 hours
Muscovado sugar is whole unrefined cane sugar from Mauritius. Its high molasses content gives it a dark brown color and strong flavor.
- Peel and quarter the quinces.
- Poach them in the syrup for about 10 minutes.
- Drain and brown lightly in butter, then add the sugar.
- Deglaze with a little syrup.
- Place into a terrine, pressing down well.
- Chill before slicing.
- Make the pasta by combining all the ingredients in a food processor.
- Roll the pasta out with a pasta machine and cut into rectangles.
- Cook the pasta in simmering water for 3 minutes.
- Bone the 2 whole hares; set aside the saddles and the rest of the meat.
- Crush the carcasses and marinate them for 24 hours.
- Make the hare stock; drain the carcasses and brown them well in the oven.
- Degrease, add the vegetables from the marinade and the tomato paste.
- Deglaze with the marinade.
- Cook the stock for at least half a day, then strain through a fine china cap.
- Marinate the hare pieces for 24 hours.
- Drain them, brown them and add the garnish: apple, carrot, onions and herbs.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Deglaze with the cider.
- Add the stock.
- Cook, covered, in a 160° C (325° F) oven for about 12 hours.
Braised leg-meat cannelloni
- Drain the hare pieces and shred the meat.
- Strain and reduce the cooking liquid to obtain the sauce.
- Combine half the sauce with the shredded meat.
- Prepare the cannelloni using 4 x 6 cm pieces of pasta.
- Roll the filling up in the cannelloni wrappers.
- Place a slice of hare on a little sauce.
- Finish with a cannelloni and a cube of quince terrine.
Hints & Tips