Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
The choice of vegetables depends on region and availability. You can add small pieces of peeled bell pepper, chopped chard or spinach leaves or fennel.
Variation: Tuscan minestrone is made up mostly of fresh white beans, escarole and tomatoes, to which other vegetables (except potato) are added as desired, along with some short pasta.
- Sauté the bacon pieces in oil; add the chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Peel and dice all the vegetables; place in a pot with the bacon and onion; add the bouquet garni.
- Add the water. Season, bring to a gentle boil, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the white beans and pasta; cook for 15-20 minutes longer.
Pesto and finishing
- Meanwhile, chop the herbs for the garnish; blanch the spinach leaves for a few seconds; spin dry.
- In a mortar or food processor combine all the ingredients except the oil; add the oil in gradually, whisking to form a creamy paste.
- Just before serving, add a spoonful of pesto to the soup and serve the rest on the side.
Hints & Tips