Oven temperature: 180° C (350° F)
Cooking time: About 90 minutes
This recipe is a summer delight. You can stuff any soft-fleshed vegetable with this method.
In the traditional recipe, stewing meat was used, but you can use leftover meat from a stew, braise or pot-au-feu and reduce the cooking time to 30 minutes. The stuffed vegetables can be eaten cold or hot.
- Halve the vegetables - tomatoes, eggplants, onions and zucchini; hollow them out carefully, being sure not to tear through the skin; chop the flesh;
- in a cocotte or Dutch oven, cook the meat and onions in a glass of red wine over low heat for an hour - check the liquid level occasionally to be sure the mixture doesn't stick;
- chop the meat and onions; add the vegetable flesh, parsley, garlic, beaten eggs and parmesan;
- stuff the hollowed vegetables with the mixture; cover with bread crumbs and drizzle with olive oil;
- place in a baking dish and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
Hints & Tips