Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: less than 30 minutes
Difficulty: Very easy
Chicken-fried steak - Sound confusing? It's really just what it sounds like: steak prepared like fried chicken. It is first seasoned and tenderized, breaded by dipping into flour, egg and sometimes bread crumbs, and then fried in a cast-iron skillet. It's served with "cream gravy" made from the pan drippings, browned flour and milk. And incidentally, for a Texan to say that something is "fine as cream gravy" is high praise indeed!
- Trim steak and cut into 6-8 pieces. Combine flour, salt and pepper. Dredge all steak pieces in flour mixture until lightly coated.
- Combine eggs and milk. Dip steak into egg mixture and dredge again in flour, getting plenty of flour mashed into steak.
- Heat 1 cm (1/2") of oil in a heavy skillet and fry steak pieces until golden brown.
- Remove steaks and place in warm oven.
- Leave remaining steak drippings or bacon drippings in skillet. Add flour. Cook and stir until flour just begins to brown.
- Add milk and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and serve in a bowl as an accompaniment to the steak. Can also be served on mashed potatoes.
Hints & Tips