Caramelized yellow or chioggia beets with maple, dill and lemon Recipe
Flavors of Quebec
Total time: 1hr to 2hr
Cooking time: + 1 hour
For 4 servings
- 2 very thin slices of raw ham
- 4 medium yellow or chioggia beets, cleaned,with about 2.5 cm/1" stem left on
- 125 g /1/2 cup plain cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. dill, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup (preferably dark for its robust flavor)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. maple chips or maple flakes
- 4 sprigs of dill, for garnish
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180° C/350° F.
- Place the ham on a parchment-lined baking sheet and dry in the oven for 20 minutes, or more if necessary, until brittle. Break into small pieces. (This step can be done in advance.)
- In a pot of salted water, cook the beets for about 40 minutes. Drain and peel.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese with the ham pieces and half the chopped dill.
- Slice each of the beets into 3 or 4 thick rounds.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the maple syrup. Add the beet slices and caramelize over low heat, watching that they do not burn. Remove, place on parchment paper and let cool.
- In the centre of each beet slice, place a dollop of the cream cheese mixture and top with another slice. The final slice should not be topped with cheese.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, maple chips or flakes, the remaining chopped dill and remaining cream cheese.
- Place the layered beets on individual serving plates and spoon the maple and cream cheese sauce around the perimeter.
- Garnish with dill sprigs and freshly ground pepper. Serve warm or cold.
More recipe ideas
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2021. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips