Cream of Squash Soup with Roasted Bacon and Maple Recipe
The Cuisine of Quebec City and its region
Total time: 1hr to 2hr
Cooking time: 90 minutes
For 4 servings
- 200 g / 7 oz bacon slices
- 2 kg / 4 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 150 ml / 5/8 cup maple syrup (preferably amber for its rich flavor)
- 7 g / 1 Tbsp. five spice powder
- salt to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in pieces
- 60 g / 1/4 cup butter
- 1 liter / 4 cups maple water*
- Preheat the oven to 180° C / 350° F.
- Place the bacon slices, squash pieces and garlic in a roasting pan. Pour on the maple syrup and sprinkle with the five spice powder and salt. Roast in the oven until the squash begins to color.
- In a Dutch oven, sweat the onion in the butter. Add the roasted ingredients. Add the maple water and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Purée in a blender, correct the seasoning and strain. Keep hot.
- Ladle the soup into four bowls.
- Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds or chopped fresh herbs, if desired.
To make a complete dish, add a few nice pan-seared scallops.
More recipe ideas
*Look for maple water in the grocery store, bearing the NAPSI certification.
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2022. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips