Preparation time: under 10 minutes
Marinating time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: None
To make the recipe for 4 people, for the mousse mayo double the quantity of oil and lemon only.
For a simpler version, used purchased gravlax.
- Lay the salmon slices flat on a large plate without overlapping.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and oil.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and dill.
- Marinate 30 minutes.
- Make the mayonnaise: whisk the mustard into the egg yolk, then slowly and gradually whisk in the oil to emulsify.
- Grate the lemon to obtain 1/2 tsp. fine zest. Halve the lemon and juice one half.
- Add the lemon juice and zest to the mayonnaise. Season with pepper to taste.
- Beat the egg white to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the beaten egg white into the mayonnaise. Refrigerate until serving time.
Photo: For those who love adventurous combinations, the Twin cocktail spoon allows you to serve two different little bites at the same time. Formed from a central handle with a bowl on either end, the cocktail spoon has little depressions that allow oils and sauces to accumulate. Suggested retail price: $14.99 for six. Beautiful and versatile. You could also use them to serve two sauces or a sauce and a condiment alongside a main course or dessert. See the catalog at www.trudeau.ca.
Hints & Tips