Prep. time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
If you don't have eggplant, you can also prepare this recipe with zucchini.
You can substitute Pecorino Romano for the Parmigiano Reggiano.
Tip from Casa Azzurra
Parmigiana can be served as a first or main course. To make it even more delicious, fry the eggplant slices after they have been salted and drained.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C / 350° F.
- Slice the eggplants and the mozzarella into rounds.
- In a hot skillet with a little olive oil, cook the eggplant slices for 10 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towel.
- In a baking dish, alternate slices of eggplant, mozzarella, tomato pulp and Parmigiano Reggiano, seasoning each layer. Repeat the process two or three times, depending on the size and depth of the baking dish. Finish with a sprinkle of grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the Parmigiano Reggiano browns slightly.
Photo and collaboration: Casa Azzura, Italian distributor of mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano cheeses
Hints & Tips