Red Mullet with Lemon Leek Fondue and Lime Vermouth Sauce Recipe
Jacques Chibois, La Bastide Saint-Antoine, France
Flavors of Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur
Total time: 15 to 30 minutes
For 4 servings
- 4 small red mullets, 250 g /8 oz. each
- 350 g (12 oz.) young leeks, washed and trimmed, with a little green left on
- 20 g (2/3 oz.) black olives, chopped and blanched twice
- 15 g (1 Tbsp.) butter
- 35 g (7 tsp.) olive oil
- 1 unsprayed lemon
- 30 g (2 Tbsp.) coarse salt for cooking
- salt and pepper
Lime and Noilly Prat sauce
- 120 g (1/2 cup) heavy cream
- 100 ml (6 Tbsp.) Noilly Prat or other dry white vermouth
- salt and pepper
- a pinch of ground turmeric
Making the leek fondue
- Halve the leeks; slice in 5 mm (1/4") widths; wash again and drain.
- Cook in a saucepan, uncovered, with 1.5 liters (6 cups) water and 20 g (4 tsp..) coarse salt.. Cook until tender.
- Using a strainer, immerse them in a bowl of ice water to cool them thoroughly. Drain.
- Grate half the lemon zest with a fine grater, then chop.
- Peel the other half lemon with a paring knife to remove the zest without the white pith. Cut into fine julienne with a sharp knife.
- In a saucepan, combine the sliced leek with the chopped olives, 25 g (5 tsp.) olive oil, the butter, grated and chopped lemon zests, salt and pepper.
- Heat, stirring constantly over low heat, and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, boil the cream with the grated chopped lime zest, vermouth, salt, pepper and turmeric for about 1 minute.
- Before serving, squeeze a few drops of lime juice into the sauce as desired.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Cook in a cold non-stick pan with 10 g olive oil.
- Bring the pan slowly up to temperature, turning the fillets after 2 minutes.
- Once the sides whiten, turn the fillets and cook an equal amount of time on the other side.
- Drizzle on some lemon juice and serve.
- Place the mullet fillet on a plate.
- Plate the hot leek fondue on top, matching the dimensions of the fish.
- Garnish one end with the finely chopped lime zest.
- Spoon the sauce around lightly.
More recipe ideas
***** CODE PUB = PUB_F *****
©Copyright MSCOMM 1996 – 2023. Michèle Serre, Éditeur
Hints & Tips