Cooking time: 35 minutes
An original recipe from the Iris Grill Restaurant in the Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi. This soup is always on the menu, an English legacy that has survived despite Africanization.
The mushroom soup is served with a little individual ramekin on the side, set over ice and containing whipped cream and black lumpfish caviar. It makes for an elegant presentation that is as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate.
- Jacline, Memories of Africa
- place the mushrooms and shallots in a skillet; add the Port; bring to a boil; reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes;
- remove from the heat and put through a strainer or purée in a blender;
- add the cream;
- return to the heat; bring just to the boiling point, reduce the heat and simmer 15 minutes longer;
- season with salt and pepper; ladle into bowls; sprinkle with chopped chives;
- serve with the whipped cream and caviar as described above.
Hints & Tips