Preparation time: A few minutes + 12 hours soaking time
Cooking time: 20 minutes + frying time
Pasteis de Bacalhau - Cod Fritters
There's no exact translation for the Portuguese word "pasteis" - it's a kind of frtter made from salt cod and potato, an intrinsic part of Portuguese cuisine, served as an hors d'oeuvre in restaurants, a snack in "tascas" or at fast-food counters and a staple of buffets. At home they're often served with rice and a salad as a simple meal.
There are numerous variations.
- desalt the cod and soak for 12 hours;
- half fill a saucepan with boiling water; add the potatoes and cod;
- simmer uncovered over medium heat for 20 minutes or until the cod and potatoes are completely cooked;
- remove the skin and bones from the cod;
- put the cod and potatoes through a meat grinder or chop in a food processor;
- blend in the egg yolks and parsley, season with a little pepper and nutmeg;
- beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold gently into the mixture;
- form into fritters - take a large tablespoonful of the mixture and place another spoon of the same size on top to mold it; continue until all the mixture has been made into fritters;
- fry the fritters in hot oil for a few minutes on each side until browned;
- drain on paper towels;
- serve hot or cold.
Hints & Tips