Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour 50
The ultimate comfort food, this rich, creamy side dish offers an indulgent accompaniment to Easter ham. The Gruyère cheese and California walnuts add a sophisticated depth of flavour to each bite.
For a healthier alternative, replace heavy cream with 2% or whole milk. The Gruyère may also be substituted with low-fat mozzarella.
Make the recipe a day ahead. Let cool; cover and refrigerate. Reheat in the oven for 1 hour or until bubbly.
- Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C.
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add leeks and sauté until tender; set aside.
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1/8 inch thick (2 mm) rounds using a mandolin or chef knife.
- In an 8-inch (2 L) baking dish, arrange a quarter of potato slices in rows slightly overlapping until the bottom is covered. Season lightly with salt and pepper, sprinkle with a quarter of the sautéed leeks, 1/4 cup (60 mL) of Gruyère and drizzle with 1/4 cup (60 mL) cream. Repeat layers three more times for a total of four layers.
- Pour broth over the potatoes, cover dish with foil and place on a baking sheet to catch any liquid that may bubble out.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until knife pierces each layer without resistance.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining Gruyère, panko and walnuts and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove dish from oven, uncover and top evenly with walnut mix. Return to oven for 15 minutes or until walnuts are golden brown.
PER SERVING: about 496 cal, 14 g pro, 35 g fat (17 g sat. fat), 34 g carb, 5 g fibre, 87 mg chol, 489 mg sodium. %RDI: 29% calcium, 17% iron, 29% vit A, 31% vit C.
Collaboration : WWW.WALNUTINFO.COM
Hints & Tips