Preparation time: 10 minutes + 2 hours resting time for the pastry
Oven temperature: 220° C (450° F)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Careful! Don't add too much salt, since the bacon is already salty.
To check for doneness, insert a knife tip into the center of the quiche. It should come out clean, as for a cake. Don't overcook the quiche or it will be dry.
Preparing the pastry
- Combine the flour and softened butter; rub the ingredients between the palms of your hands to blend them well until the mixture is crumbly.
- Place the flour-butter mixture on a work surface or in a bowl and form a well in the center; place the egg in the center with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Knead everything together, adding a little cold water if necessary. The pastry should be smooth and well-combined but not sticky. Don't overwork it. Place in the refrigerator and let rest for two hours.
- It's best if you can make the pastry the day before and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight, wrapped in plastic wrap.
Preparing the quiche
- Whisk the eggs, add the seasonings; add the cream and beat lightly. Let rest.
- Butter and flour a high-sided tart or quiche pan.
- Line the pan with the pastry. Prick the bottom all over with a fork.
- Cut the bacon into matchsticks and sauté in an ungreased skillet - the fat from the bacon is enough to cook it.
- Spread an even layer of bacon matchsticks over the pastry.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bacon.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. (450°F). Place the quiche into the hot oven, maintaining this temperature for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 140/150°C. (300°F.) and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Once the filling is set, the quiche is cooked.
Hints & Tips