Marinating time: Overnight
Cooking time: 12 to 15 minutes
- With a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic cloves, sea salt and fennel seeds to a paste.
- Remove the stems from the sage; add the leaves to the mortar and crush. Add the olive oil and combine.
- Place the rabbit pieces in a large bowl, add the garlic-sage paste and coat the pieces well.
- Add the milk, cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Just before cooking, sprinkle some flour on a board and season generously with salt and pepper. Remove the rabbit pieces from the marinade and coat lightly with the seasoned flour.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the sunflower oil, add the rabbit pieces and sauté for 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are golden and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and let rest about 5 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Fonty’s Pool Pemberton 2009 Pinot noir, Australia (red wine)
A recipe from Chef Derek Dammann of DNA Restaurant. After working with renowned chef Jamie Oliver in London, as well as at several B.C. restaurants, Derek Dammann rose to become executive chef and co-owner of DNA in Old Montreal. 355, Rue Marguerite d’Youville. 514 287-3362
Hints & Tips