Preheat the oven to 250 °C (500 °F)
Preparation time: 5-7 minutes
Baking time: 10-15 minutes
Gontran Cherrier, an explorer of tastes and author of culinary bestsellers, trained with Alain Passard and Alain Senderens, among others. He has come up with an original Ricard Tapas appetizer, a crunchy take on the traditional Niçois flatbread known as socca (a very thin pancake made with chickpea flour), sprinkled with rosemary, pepper and flavored with olive oil.
I named this pairing "a real Ricard with a real crunch," says Gontran Cherrier, "since the combination represents a marriage of authentic and subtle flavors. The crispy sophistication of my socca, which offers a range of Mediterranean flavors, is a perfect match for the flavors of the Ricard and brings out its delicate fresh taste. This refined, light pairing is a true marraige, as if one couldn't be enjoyed without the other."
Cherrier's innovation represents the spirit of a new generation of chefs seeking to combine flavors in a way that produces new tastes and unexpected sensations.
This "real Ricard with a real crunch" was the official apéritif of the Grand Fooding in Lyon, Montpellier and Marseille last year.
- Combine the chickpea flour, water, olive oil and salt; whisk and process in a blender.
- Spread a very thin layer of batter on a baking sheet that has been brushed with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with chopped rosemary and the pepper blend.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes in the upper third of the oven at 250° C (500° F).
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fleur de sel. Break the sheet up with your fingers and enjoy.
Hints & Tips