Preparation time: 20 minutes
Rising time: 90 minutes (optional)
Baking time: 10-12 minutes
To save time, make this recipe with store-bought hamburger buns. Toast them before spreading with butter.
We use baking powder for the buns. You can bake them immediately, but we advise letting them rise at room temperature so they are softer and fluffier.
- In a bowl, combine the sifted flour with the yeast and sugar.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add to the flour.
- Combine the ingredients with your fingers to form a crumbly dough.
- In a bowl, combine the egg and milk.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour and mix vigorously to obtain a stiff dough - if the dough is too sticky, add a little flour.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a thickness of 4 cm (1 1/2").
- Cut the dough into 6 cm (2 1/2") circles.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for 90 minutes (see chef's note above).
- Brush the buns with egg yolk to make them golden when they bake.
- Preheat the oven to 210° C (425° F) and bake the buns for 10-12 minutes.
- Butter the buns.
- Divide the cucumber and cheese slices on the bottom halves of the buns.
- Add a good spoonful of ham rillettes, top with the top half of the bun and serve.
Hints & Tips