Red Mullet with Ink, Creamy Rice and Squid Recipe
Total time: 30 to 60 minutesPreparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
An original recipe from Jean-Marie Gautier
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 6 Red Mullet (Goatfish) fillets, 180-200 g (6-7 oz.)
- 600 g (1 lb. 5 oz.) Baby squid
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) Arborio (risotto) rice
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) fish stock
- 100 ml (6 tbsp.) liquid cream
- 100 ml (6 tbsp.) butter
- 6 leaves of flat leaf parsley, fried
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 250 ml (1 cup) [ink sauce]
- A pinch of Espelette chili
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Scale, wash and dry the red mullet fillets.
- Carefully remove any bones from the fillets, using tweezers.
- Place them on a platter; drizzle with olive oil; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Pulling gently, remove the heads of the squid from the bodies. Using scissors, cut off the tentacles at the eye level and reserve.
- Discard the entrails, keeping the ink sac.
- Carefully remove the spine or quill from inside the squid. Rinse the bodies and tentacles in fresh water.
- Slice the bodies into rings. Keep the tentacles whole. Refrigerate.
Making the risotto
- Heat a spoonful of olive oil in a pan and add the rice; cook until pearly.
- Add the fish stock; season and cook, covered, for 16 minutes.
- Off the heat, add the cream and butter. Correct the seasoning.
- Fry the parsley leaves in olive oil and drain on paper towels.
- Season the squid with salt and Espelette chili. In a large skillet, heat some oil and sauté the squid briskly for 2 minutes.
- Drain and add the chopped parsley.
Finishing and presentation
- Heat the ink sauce.
- Sauté the seasoned red mullet fillets in olive oil for 4-5 minutes.
- On warmed plates, place the risotto, squid and red mullet with the sauce all around.
- Garnish with a leaf of fried parsley.
More recipe ideas
Hints & Tips