Preparation time: 20 minutes
Roasting time: 20-25 minutes/lb.
Allow about 45 to 50 minutes per kilogram (20-25 minutes per pound); a turkey is usually cooked at moderately low heat (160° C/325° F) and needs to be basted frequently.
Once the turkey begins to brown, cover it loosely with a piece of aluminum foil; remove the foil 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Empty the turkey cavity; brush the turkey inside and out with soft or melted butter and cover with thin strips of bacon, particularly around the legs which tend to dry out;
- prepare the stuffing: in a skillet, melt the butter;
- add the onion, giblets and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes; place the mixture into a bowl and add the other ingredients; mix well and stuff the turkey with the mixture;
- pull the skin over the opening and sew or skewer it closed so that the stuffing does not escape during cooking;
- roast in a preheated oven, calculating the cooking time according to the weight of the turkey.
A Bordeaux Château de la Tour 98 Champagne or a good sparkling wine
Serve with potatoes cut into spheres or footballs, sautéed in butter, Brussels sprouts, glazed carrots and boiled buttered peas.
Hints & Tips