Prep. time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking time for the rutabagas: 35-40 minutes
Total cooking time for the gratin: 1-1/2 to 2 hours
Oven temperature: 180°C / 350°F
Gratins, dishes baked until they have a deliciously browned surface, are a special part of the Finnish Christmas meal. Moreover, they are extremely practical for the cook since they can be made ahead of time; in fact their flavour improves when they are reheated.
Note: the flavour of the rutabaga can be enhanced by adding some fried onion.
Tip: keeps well in a cool place for two to three days
- Wash and peel the rutabagas. Cut into long slices and boil in lightly salted water until tender;
- drain, reserving the cooking liquid; mash or blend the rutabagas;
- combine the mashed rutabaga with the cream, bread crumbs, molasses, beaten egg, spices and enough of the cooking liquid to create a soft, fairly thin consistency;
- place in a buttered baking dish, decorate the surface with a fork and sprinkle with a thin layer of bread crumbs;
- dot the top with butter and place in a preheated 180° C (350° F) oven for 60 to 90 minutes, until nicely browned on top.
Photo: Finland Promotion Board
Hints & Tips