Marinating time: 12 hours
Cooking time: A few minutes
Winter is almost over and the sun is making its comeback! As freeze turns to thaw, the sap begins to rise in the maple trees. From March 12 to April 19, 2015, come experience gourmet celebrations at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth. Chef Sebastien Giannini is happy to unveil delicious menus, specially designed in the long-standing tradition of Quebec sugar shacks, incorporating his personal contemporary touch. Brunch, lunch, dinner, cocktails, and even take-away dishes... savour the maple season in the heart of Montreal! Relive an authentic sugar shack menu every Sunday for brunch with maple taffy "on the snow" to end. Checkered shirts, rough wooden tables, red and white checked napkins - enter a different world at the hands of a French chef who has captured the heart of old Quebec.
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade (orange juice, star anise, cinnamon sticks, maple syrup and whisky) and heat everything to blend thoroughly.
- Place the salmon fillets in a dish and cover with the marinade.
- Add the orange and lemon slices and fleur de sel and marinate for 12 hours.
- Soak the gelatin sheets in cold water, then leave for a few minutes to soften; this is called blooming.
- Meanwhile, prepare a light lemon syrup by dissolving the sugar in the 250 ml water and 250 ml lemon juice over low heat.
- Once the gelatin is softened, remove the gelatin sheets from the cold water. Squeeze gently to remove excess water.
- Add the gelatin to the warm lemon syrup, stirring until dissolved. The liquid must be just warm enough to melt the gelatin. Boiling the gelatin will alter its setting ability.
- Pour into a baking tray and allow the jelly to set in the fridge. The jelly will be thick and slightly jiggly - this is the desired consistency. Add a few small spoonfuls of the lemon jelly as a garnish.
Finishing and presentation
- Whip the cream and add the finely chopped dill.
- Finely julienne the apple. Place in a bowl and add the Champagne, olive oil and salt.
- Remove the salmon from the marinade and season with pepper. Grill quickly on each side to mark it attractively.
- Slice the salmon thinly.
- Arrange the salmon slices on plates and top with a little whipped cream, an endive leaf, a mini romaine leaf and some julienned apple.
- Sprinkle the micro shoots around the perimeter and garnish with small spoonfuls of the lemon jelly.
Hints & Tips