Smoked White Tuna with Fresh Figs and Pine Nuts Recipe
Flavors of Spain
Prep. time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 to 60 minutes
Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 min. per kg (30 on the rotisserie)
If you have access to a home cold smoker, use chestnut wood chips to smoke the tuna.
- 600 g (1 lb. 5 oz.) white Tuna
- Olive oil, to brush the fish
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, cleaned and finely chopped
- Powdered red ginger, to taste
- 20 g (4 tsp.) sugar
- 1 liter (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 50 ml (3 tbsp.) mild extra virgin olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) honey
- 25 ml (5 tsp.) red wine
- 25 ml (5 tsp.) olive oil
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. sherry vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 300 g (10 oz.) onion, finely chopped and sautéed
- 500 g (18 oz.) fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- Powdered licorice root, ginger and Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 35 g (1 oz.) agar-agar, softened and dissolved in 50 ml (1-1/2 oz.) water
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) green pistachios, peeled and chopped
- Soy sauce, to taste
- 100 ml (6 tbsp.) extra virgin olive oil
- 10 g (2 tsp.) sundried tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) light molasses
- Soy sauce to taste
- 60 g (2 oz.) fresh Figs
- 50 g (2 oz.) pine nuts
- Fresh tarragon leaves
For the sauce
- Sauté the onion and green pepper in olive oil until they are tender and barely coloured, add the sugar and the honey, mix in the vinegar and let reduce over the heat.
- Add the wine and reduce again. Add the mixture to the vegetable broth and cook 10 minutes.
- Purée and let reduce to thicken the mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and ginger.
- Whisk together with the olive oil.
- Cook the onions and tomatoes in a covered cast iron pot until reduced to a purée.
- Season with ginger, licorice, Worcestershire sauce and soya sauce.
- Remove 330 ml (1-1/3 c.) of the purée and stir in the agar-agar, stirring to dissolve until it reaches an elastic consistency; set aside.
- Cut into rectangles and cover with the chopped nuts, pressing them in well. Pass quickly under the grill or into the skillet and cut each rectangle diagonally to obtain two triangles.
- Set aside.
Preparing the tuna and finishing the dish
- Cut the fish into 12 rectangles, brush with olive oil and set aside.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette.
- Peel the figs, pass under the grill or into a skillet with the pine nuts.
- Rapidly sauté the tuna on both sides in a lightly oiled pan.
- To serve, place three pieces of tuna on each plate.
- Arrange the tomato triangles and the figs and pine nuts alongside and nap the fish with the sour sauce and the triangles with the vinaigrette.
- Garnish with tarragon leaves.
Txacoli, Navarra or Rioja
More recipe ideas
In collaboration with Spain Goumetour and the Spanish Embassy Trade Office
Hints & Tips