Sorullitos de Maiz make a great appetizer, they go great with soup, or they can be served with café con leche for breakfast or with the traditional afternoon coffee.
Serve with marie-rose sauce. You don't know the name? It's the classic pink sauce usually served with cold prawns.- or a simple mix of mayonnaise and ketchup.
- In a medium saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add the salt, sugar, butter, cornmeal and stir until it forms a soft ball that separates from the sides of the pot. Remove from heat.
- Add the cheese and mix in well.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let rest 5 minutes.
- Form the sorullitos by scooping out a heaping teaspoonful, forming a ball, then rolling with your hand on the counter into a stick or sorullito. They typically are about the lenth of the index finger and not too thick.
- Fry in plenty of oil over medium high heat until golden.
Hints & Tips