Cooking time: About 40 minutes
Making the pastry
- Lightly flour your work table. Roll the puff pastry out to a thickness of approximately 5 mm.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out four discs 8.5 cm in diameter.
- Flip the puff pastry rounds over onto a baking sheet. Mix the egg yolk with a little water and brush the mixture onto the four discs. Arrange the flaked almonds over the entire surface. Set aside in a cool place for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 400° C oven. When the puff pastry rounds have risen and are nicely golden, carefully split them into five layers each using a small knife, being careful to keep the top layer with the almonds in one piece.
- Brush the tops with the syrup, then return them to the oven along with the other puff pastry layers for about 5 minutes so that they dry out and colour slightly.
Making the White Chocolate Mousse
- Melt the white chocolate in a bain-marie at 30-35° C.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and beat in the sugar.
- Gradually fold the egg whites into the melted white chocolate, and then the whipped cream. Blend together quickly but delicately. Keep cool.
Note: You must watch the temperature of the white chocolate carefully in order to achieve a smooth mixture.
Making the Strawberry Coulis
- Quickly wash the strawberries, drain and hull them. Place in the blender to make the coulis.
- Add some superfine sugar and a few drops of lemon juice if needed.
Making the Garnish (prepare only at the last minute)
- Wash the strawberries if necessary (it is preferable just to wipe them with a cloth in order to preserve all their flavour). Hull them and cut into large slices.
Finishing the Dessert
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, pipe the white chocolate mousse onto the puff pastry circles, and top with a layer of sliced strawberries.
- Repeat with the remaining layers, ending with the almond top.
- Place the millefeuilles in the middle of serving plates and surround them with a ring of strawberry coulis.
An original recipe from Antoine Westermann, of Buerhiesel in Alsace
Hints & Tips