Resting time for the dough: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Strukli are a specialty of the Zagreb region. These little dumplings, filled with cheese, apple or bread crumbs, have become popular throughout the country.
In the north, there are wonderful Christmas strukli served with dried fruit compote (prune, apple and pear).
- Combine the flour and salt with a little warm water. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, flake the desalted cod. Combine all the ingredients for the filling.
- Roll the pastry out into 2 equal rectangles about 3-4 mm (1/8") thick.
- Divide the filling over one rectangle, placing 1 large spoonful every 10 cm (4").
- Cover with the second sheet of dough. Cut the strukli with a knife or ravioli cutter. Seal the edges with a fork.
- Cook in boiling salted water for 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon once they begin to rise to the surface.
- Poach the garlic cloves in 125 ml (1/2 cup) water for 3-5 minutes.
- Blend in the cold butter with an electric blender to obtain a frothy texture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Hints & Tips