This recipe has been developed for the Almond Board of California by James Beard cookbook ‘dish entertains’ award winner and party dish TV host Trish Magwood
This soup is a perfect balance of sweet from the sweet potato, earthy from the almonds and heat from the smoky chipotle – good for you too! A great weekend lunch or light dinner with crusty bread and a simple salad or serve in little sake or espresso cups for a cocktail party.
Once completely cooled, this soup can be frozen.
Chipotles are smoked jalepenos with a smoky flavor. They can be found in the Mexican section of your grocery store.
- Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C. Line baking sheet with foil. Place whole sweet potatoes on baking sheet.
- Bake until soft when pierced with a knife (over 1 hour). Let cool. Peel and discard skin and rough chop.
- Heat oil or butter over medium heat in large heavy soup pot. Cook onions 7 minutes stirring often or until translucent.
- Add white wine. When liquid has evaporated, add chipotle and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground almonds. Stir. Add sweet potatoes and stir. Add enough cold stock to cover.
- Turn heat up to medium high. Once boiling, reduce, simmer covered for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from heat. Using a hand blender, puree soup until smooth. Stir in maple syrup to taste and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with roasted slivered almonds.
Calories: 243 kcals
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 4.1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.9 g
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Fiber 5 g
Sodium: 995 mg
Calcium: 62 mg
Magnesium: 47 mg
Potassium: 583 mg
Vitamin E: 8.2 mg*
Hints & Tips