You could use leftover sweet potatoes to reduce the preparation time.
If you've cooked a ham on the bone, use this ham in the soup because it's much more flavorful. Otherwise you can use breakfast ham.
- In a large saucepan, brown the country ham in oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and brown.
- Add the coffee and stir for a few minutes while simmering.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and peppercorns and return to a simmer.
- Cover again and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Put in a blender with the sour cream or cream fraiche and blend until smooth. Serve hot.
Recipe and photo created by the American Sweet Potato Marketing Institute
Chef's notes: MSCOMM
Hints & Tips