- Peel the potatoes then wash and dry. Cut in thin slices and fry slowly in a deep frying-pan containing oil at a medium-hot temperature.
- Add the very finely-sliced onion and fry the potatoes and onion together until soft and beginning to turn golden. Stir occasionally with a slotted spoon, breaking up the ingredients as they soften.
- After about ten minutes, drain off the oil.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with a little salt. Add the potato and onion mixture.
- Return the frying-pan to the heat with a little of the oil used previously and turn the egg mixture into it. Cover and cook over a low heat for 5-10 minutes or until the base is golden. Using a large plate or lid, turn the omelet and return to the pan until the eggs set.
Serve either hot or cold on a round dish.
A great partnership can be set up between the potato omelet, probably Spain’s most emblematic dish, and a fruity, young Tempranillo red.
Energy (kcal): 316
Protein: 10.5 g
Fat: 21.8 g
Carbohydrates: 20.7 g
Iron: 2.2 mg
Thiamine: 0.2 mg
Vitamin C: 24.3 mg
Photo : Toya Legido / ©ICEX.
Wine match : Federico Oldenburg / ©ICEX
Preparation: Escuela Superior de Hostelería y Turismo de Madrid
Hints & Tips