Preparation : 10 minutes
Cooking : 30 minutes
Tortillas are a quintessential Southern staple and make the perfect crisp garnish for this delicious soup. Wonderfully balanced with jalapeno peppers adding the perfect amount of heat and sour cream and avocado soothing the palate, once you've tried a taste of the South, you'll find it hard to come home again!
Chef’s Tip: Substitute sliced rotisserie chicken and broken tortilla chips for a quick alternative.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Add tortilla strips to pan and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and crisp. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add onions, celery, green peppers and jalapeno to oil; cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and chicken breasts to pot and bring to boil; reduce heat to maintain a simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove chicken and shred or chop into bite-sized pieces. Return chicken to soup with corn and cook 5 minutes more.
- Ladle soup into warmed bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with tortilla strips, diced avocado and cilantro sprigs.
Go South Fresh from 16 states of the Southern U.S. When you see the Go South! logo, it is an indication of the pride and tender loving care that each of suppliers has put into providing the finest, freshest and best quality produce the Southern U.S. has to offer.
Hints & Tips