Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours or 15 minutes for the express version
In Madeira, there are dedicated spots, such as Casa de Abrigo do Poiso, to have a soup meal. There you can taste the best tomato soup on the island, a reduction of tomatoes and onions with no added water, topped with a slice of good bread and a poached egg.
There are numerous variations, including an express version: the same ingredients are cooked for 15 minutes and everything is put into a blender. The texture and richness of flavor are not quite the same, but the soup is still delicious.
Since we don't use the reduction principle in this version, you can add two cooked potatoes to the blender to thicken the soup.
Some cooks flavor the soup with a sprig of thyme or coriander.
- Slice the onions thinly and place them into a heavy pot.
- Blanch the tomatoes for a few seconds in boiling water; peel them and place on top of the onions; season with salt and pepper; add the oil and garlic.
- Cover and simmer over very low heat until the onions are translucent and the tomatoes have completely broken down. Watch carefully so you can remove the pot from the heat before the tomatoes dry out.
- Just before serving, poach one egg per person; the yolks should still be runny.
- Ladle the soup into bowls; top each serving with a slice of country bread and a poached egg; serve immediately.
Hints & Tips