Prep. time: 10 minutes
Waiting time: 30 minutes in a cool place
Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes
There are two different stories regarding the origin of the name Tourment d'amour, or love's torment. The first holds that the name came to the mind of a woman tormented by the absence of her husband, who had gone to sea to fish.
The other says that the woman invented a cake to satisfy her husband who was returning from fishing after enduring the torments of being without her. The tender génoise and sweet coconut jam rewarded his fatigue and his patience.
Less poetically, in 1925 Louis Thomas, head of the largest sewing notions business in Point-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe, married Eugénie Cléany, who was a pastry chef and cook. All the greatest families sought out Madame Thomas for thier banquets and parties, and she developed an excellent reputation for her delicious specialities, which included the famous Tourment d'amour.
Every year, Tourment d'amour plays a central part in the folk demonstrations of the Terre-de-Haut region. During the region's feast day, August 15, a contest is held to determine the biggest and best tourment d'amour.
Essentially, the dessert consists of a pastry base, covered with coconut jam and topped with a delicious cinnamon-flavored genoise. It's impossible to leave Les Saintes without trying this delicious traditional pastry.
Hints and tips
(1) To save time, you can prepare the pastry in advance.
(2) Coconut jam is the original version, but you can now find the dessert made with banana, guava or passion fruit jam.
- Combine the flour with the salt and butter. Add a little water to form a workable pastry.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Beat the whole eggs with the sugar and flavorings until very thick and foamy.
- Gently fold in the flour and salt.
Assembly and baking
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface. Cut out pastry circles to fit your tart tins.
- Line each tart tin with pastry and prick with a fork. Add a good spoonful of jam. Top with some of the génoise batter.
- Bake in a 180° C/350° oven for 20-30 minutes.
© Photo credit:: Pinterest
Hints & Tips