Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: Under 15 minutes
Renald Isaac, the Seychelles chef of the Café des Iles in Paris, suggests accompanying this dish with basmati rice and tomato or mango chutney and vegetable pickles (achards) for an authentic Seychelles meal.
- Cut the fresh tuna into cubes. Season with salt.
- Brown the tuna pieces in a skillet or Dutch oven with a little oil. Set aside.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, ginger, chili and turmeric over low heat until the onion begins to color. Add the coconut milk.
- Add the tuna pieces. Stir gently, coating the tuna with the sauce. Season with salt, add the cardamom and curry leaves, cover, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook a few minutes longer until the liquid has evaporated. The sauce should be thick and creamy.
Collaboration: Air Seychelles
This recipe for tuna with saffron and coconut was created by Renald Isaac, the Seychelles chef of the Café des Îles, 111 rue Monge, 75005 Paris.
Photos: Patrick Hamon.
Hints & Tips