Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour
Making the pumpkin flans
Cut the pumpkin into cubes;
place the pumpkin in a saucepan with the onion and chopped garlic; season with salt and pepper and add a touch of nutmeg;
cover with chicken stock and cook slowly until the liquid has evaporated;
purée in a blender; let cool;
add the whole beaten eggs and the cream;
pour into individual buttered ramekins or custard cups and cook in a 150°C / 300°F oven for 45 minutes.
Making the sauce
- While the flans are cooking, place the wine vinegar and honey into a saucepan; cook until lightly caramelized;
- add the demi-glaze and cook over very low heat for 45 minutes; strain.
Preparing the roasted garlic
- Place the whole unpeeled garlic cloves, sprig of thyme and a drizzle of olive oil on a piece of aluminum foil;
- close up in a package; cook in a 200° C (400° F) oven for 15 minutes; set aside.
Cooking the veal – Presentation
- Trim the veal tenderloin; cut into medallions, allowing four per person;
- sauté the veal medallions in clarified butter; the center should still be slightly pink;
- pour a little sauce onto each plate;
- arrange four medallions in the middle of each plate;
- garnish with the pumpkin flan and roasted garlic.
Côtes du Rhône Hermitage 1995 Jean-Louis Chave
Hints & Tips